WIP Day 3 and Revelation

2/01/2010 04:00:00 PM Posted In , Edit This 14 Comments »
Little by little I'm making progress on my drawing.  I'm finding the hair especially challenging, but also fun to do.  I think I might be in the home stretch, or at least nearing it.

I mentioned in an earlier post that the only book I could find here at home about DaVinci is is gigantic tome that's sort of hard to work with ... it has a mind of its own and doesn't want to stay open.  Anyhow, while looking for something to draw, I didn't read any of the text - just looked at the pictures.  Imagine my surprise (and chagrin), then, when I actually read the text regarding this picture and discovered that the drawing isn't by DaVinci at all!  It's called "Young Man in Profile Facing to the Right" attributed to Giovanni Antonio Boltraffio.  Even that designation is in question, and some scholars prefer the designation, "school of Leonardo".  So, for the sake of consistency, I'll continue to refer to it as DaVinci, but you and I know better now, don't we?

 


 

14 comments:

Alex said...

I am with you when it comes to doing hair... it's challenging but fun at the same time. Yours turn out really nice so far!

Socrates said...

Well, there, now you can take all the freedom you want with him, and make him look better than the original. Which he does, no questions. I really like what you've done with him, DV or not.

Ginormous Duck said...

These are beautiful!

Vicki Holdwick said...

It's beautiful, Nancy.

I actually think yours looks more like a woman than "his" does.

I want to be just like you when/if I grow up.


xoxo

Hybrid J said...

Very nice sketch. I've been wanting to draw faces and hair for a while haven't tried it yet as every time when I look at the hair work of others, I could tell just how difficult it is. Well Done and Keep Going! :)

Janet Ghio said...

I love following your progress on this. He's looking better all the time!

Quilt knit said...

These are really good. Are you using carbon pencils, graphite and sepia paper or Conte Crayon

Ann said...

Well, who ever the artist is you are doing a great job. This is looking fantastic! I agree that hair looks very challenging and I like your drawing a lot.

Dan Kent said...

It's coming out beautifully. I'm looking forward to checking each day and will be disappointed when it's over. Are you learning from this? I'd say that you are in the School of DaVinci now!

Ellen Burkett said...

Wonderful work Nancy! Great job on the hair too!

Anonymous said...

Well done, Nancy!!!

Unknown said...

That was a surprise, I would never have guessed! Your results are amazing though! The hair is really taking shape!

Timaree said...

You are doing great. It's not an exact copy but except for practicing copying do we really need to worry or even want that?

martinepittet said...

Lovely sketch !