Version 2, Sargent and Cake

2/07/2010 07:29:00 PM Posted In , , Edit This 12 Comments »
I'm done fooling with this drawing - I don't think I can get it to look any closer to the reference photo than it does. ...... also, I'm ready to move on to something else!

This weekend was a busy one - we spent a good bit of yesterday in Ann Arbor, which is always fun.  We ate breakfast out, then went to Michigan Book and Supply for some art supplies, then on to Borders Books where we picked up a few birthday presents.  We also went to a wonderful art gallery (16 Hands) and another shop (Falling Water) that sells books, cards, candles, gifts .... well, you get the idea - it's really a fun place with great things to see and buy.

Anyhow, today my sweetie baked a Chocolate Kahlua cake for a coworker who is turning 50.  He did a wonderful job on it with only minimal assistance from me (in the form of gentle suggestions ... at least I thought they were - lol).

Tomorrow I'm finishing a RR book spread and starting another Master's drawing, which I haven't selected yet.  So, here's my "finished" drawing, and my sweetie's cake:

 


Doesn't it look delicious?  It smelled delicious, too!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually I think your copy is very close to the original. Doing contour drawings helps with profiles. The whole eye hand coordination. The little bump in her forehead is more pronounced in your drawing as is the little bump under her chin. Her nose could be a tad bit wider and longer, but I mean, these are small, insignificant things because it's the exercise itself that matters. Did you learn something from it? I'm sure you did. Are there things you will do differently on your next one? Don't be so hard on yourself. It's a damn good drawing. :) And that cake looks scrumptious. I'll bet it did smell good baking. Makes me want to bake a cake right now.

Susan Reep said...

thanks for your comment on my blog. That cake looks good - especially since we just had pigs in blankets and puppy chow - my grandson's favorite super bowl foods.

Anonymous said...

You did a very good job here! As phaloblu says, did you learn? It's all about the learning!

Minerva said...

I love your Masters projects. I have been thinking to do something similar since I got a Rembrandt book of prints last year... Could we get the recipe for the cake? It looks delicious!

Minerva said...

I love your Masters projects. I have been thinking to do a similar thing with some Rembrandt prints (I got a book last year) but procrastination is hovering over me ... Could we get the recipe for the cake? It looks delicious!

Unknown said...

Yes, you have me thinking of a new focus on Masters also. These are so wonderful!

nanke's stuff said...

If anyone would like the recipe for the cake (which is really, really, good and quick to make), please email me and I'll be glad to give it to you. I'm reluctant to post it here because of copyright issues. .... Call me paranoid! lol nancy

Bénédicte said...

your portrait is really good. It is a very hard one to copy because of the simplicity of the drawing, nearly one line, no cheating with details or shading.
Good job!

Ann said...

You've got me thinking about a masters project too! I think you did a brilliant job with this. And it was not an easy drawing to try to copy!

The cake looks and sounds delicious! Chocolate Kahlua - yum!

Dragana Savkov - Bajić said...

Beautiful drawing! You did a great job, just as your sweetie with his cake, which looks delicious!

Timaree said...

You did a great job. I'm glad to hear you can only go so far with each of these before you are ready to move on. I am always ready to move on too soon and feel like everyone else can fiddle forever. The cake looks great. Bet it tastes great too.

Rowena said...

This is great. Faces are so hard, because the tiniest adjustment one way or another makes a different face. As humans, I think we are so attuned to looking at faces, that it's even harder.

Oh and I love that painting of Madam X. It's so stunning. I recognized her right away, in your drawing, too, so you weren't that far off.