Raphael WIP day 4

2/25/2010 03:34:00 PM Posted In , , Edit This 11 Comments »
Well, I'm getting close to calling this one done.  I have some tweaking left to do and also some darkening in some areas, but other than that, I think I'll leave well enough alone.  I'm sure someone who's studied art history knows the answer to this, but I can't help wondering why so many of the masters used  seemingly nothing but  lines to fill in areas of their drawings.  I have to say, it does make it very difficult to copy them.  Duplicating the lines done by another hand is next to impossible (at least it is for me).  Maybe it was their way to copyright their work since there were no copyright laws back then!  lol  So, once again, here's my drawing, followed by the reference photo.

 

 

11 comments:

arlene said...

Awe! beautiful! excellent!! perfect!

luv it
hugs
arlene f

Janet Ghio said...

Excellent! I haven't looked in several days. Looks really good--glad you took that extra leg out!!

Unknown said...

A remarkable likeness!

Revelle Taillon said...

I think you are doing an awesome job. I would darken the shoulders and head area like it is in the original. The leg areas already look perfect! Right on, Girl! You go!
Revelle

Timaree said...

I think you did a terrific job on this. I'm not sure you need to copy every line as they have it. Copying it for the style and the method of working it should be enough - unless you are aiming for a forgery, lol!

Sandra said...

You should be so proud!

Anonymous said...

Excellent job!!!!! Keep going. You are motivating me to keep drawing too!

Patsy Taylor-Craw said...

Wow! You are doing a great job with your sketch.

Alex said...

The proportion is great! The muscles, the elbow, arms and legs are all well defined and shaded. The face is a bit on the softer side compare to the original, but guess what...I like your version better ^^

Unknown said...

I think by copying the masters, we are trying to figure out why they made the marks they made...why they made the decisions they did. And I hear you asking about all the lines and I say, you are figuring out the right questions to be asking! By examining those lines, seeing what they achieved and how it had to be that way...we learn! I also love to hear everyone's critiques. There is often some very good advice in there. If Revelle had not mentioned the face and shoulder, I would not have seen it. But, she makes a good point! And that teaches us all to have sharper vision! I think it is a wonderful sketch!

Anonymous said...

Awesome, awesome job! And what Raena said. :)