Postponement

2/04/2010 08:03:00 PM Posted In , Edit This 16 Comments »
While I'll be tweaking the "DaVinci" drawing a bit, I'm not going to post it again.  Remember (or not) how the book that the reference photo I was using weighed a ton?  Well, I decided that rather than struggle with it again, I would order some other books (paperback this time) that will be a tad easier to work with.  They should be arriving tomorrow.  I ordered a book of DaVinci, one of Raphael, and one of Sargent drawings, and I'm really excited about getting them.  I'm going to pick out another drawing from one of them to copy.  I think that trying to copy different styles will be both interesting and educational for me.

So, in the meantime, I thought I'd share a drawing I did for my parents years ago when they moved to New Mexico.  It's a portrait of Chief Joseph - a man who sacrificed much to save his people.  He's one of the people I think is a true hero.

16 comments:

Vicki Holdwick said...

Nancy,

I just love this and am so impressed that you drew this.

xoxo

Socrates said...

Wow, that is so great. He's fully there. A wonderful portrait. And you did that YEARS AGO???? Geeez. Fabulous.

Anonymous said...

WOw, such a beautiful portrait. So very nicely done.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous! It's so nice to revisit older works for perspective. Clearly- you've drawn well for quite some time. Looking forward to seeing your upcoming work.

Timaree said...

Very nice. You got all the lights and darks and in-betweens. That's really good. We tend to make everyone a hero today and that just makes us lose the real ones somewhat. I bet your parents loved it.

Its about art and design said...

Such a handsome portrait.

Dan Kent said...

This is a wonderful drawing. And I'm excited about the books you ordered, mostly because I was doing the same thing so I truly understand (I need to keep at it.) - I'll be posting some of my sketches soon that I did trying to imitate others too (in the hope I would divine something of what they were doing.)

Aarti Harish said...

Some really gr8 work here...Vicki.

Louise said...

Gosh, how lucky your parents are. It would be an honour to have a picture like this adorning the walls. Especially when it has such a special meaning. It has a real presence-definitely gave me that 'wow' feeling when I saw it!

Sarah said...

This is a lovely portrait Nancy, I love the strong contrasts and you really convey the character of the man.

Anonymous said...

Chief Josef was a hero by every definition, and you did him Honor in this fine portrait. Well done.

Unknown said...

Awesome Nancy!! On my screen it almost looks like it has a sepia tone to it. You did a fabulous job on it!! Look at the character in those eyes!!

Ann said...

That's a powerful portrait. I look forward to seeing what other drawings you do copying the masters. It's a great idea, I should give it a go myself :-)

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful! I know how hard it can be ~ You are doing it! Bravo! Thanks for stopping by my blog, also! I am now a follower of yours! thanks ~ namaste,

Marilyn Harris Mills aka Maer said...

wowsers this is awesome...you sure know how to draw!

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

and this one is amazing!
you are real good!