Work in Progress

1/30/2010 10:44:00 PM Posted In , Edit This 15 Comments »
After drawing the eyes and noses, I decided I would spend some time copying drawings done by Leonardo DaVinci.  I was sure I had a book (rather a small one) here with a lot of his sketches in it.  Well, I searched high and low, and all I could find was a really heavy, huge, hardcover book that weighs 7 lbs ...  seriously - I weighed it!  So, since that was all I could find, I settled on one of his drawings and started to work.  I'll show you the original that I'm working from as well as my humble attempt to copy it.  It isn't finished, but I'll keep posting the two pictures so you can watch my progress.  I have to admit, I'm a tad anxious about this endeavor, but what the heck - nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?


15 comments:

Socrates said...

It's a bit hard to see, the drawing came out really light, but it's super promising, it already looks wonderful. That must be so rewarding for you. Keep up the good work. :-))

Alex said...

All I can say is that I could sense that something brilliant is in the way Nancy =) I can't wait!
Thanks for your wishes and your comments ^^

A.Marie said...

It looks good so far.

Vicki Holdwick said...

Hi Nancy,

This is going to be really fun to watch develop.

I like what I see so far.

xoxo

Jennifer Edwards said...

Ooh...a wonderful way to boost your drawing skills! Great start! You could make a whole sketch book of them:)

Anonymous said...

looks great so far

Anonymous said...

You're doing great! Imagine the magic of art, being taught by Leonardo 500+ years after he died! Isn't that grand?

Kate (Cathy Johnson) said...

Wonderful exercise, and you're obviously getting a lot out of it!

Sandra said...

What a great start!

Unknown said...

A wonderful start, Nancy! I can't wait to see more. And the master sketch you've chosen is a perfect one: just enough difficulty to make you really stretch for it!

Janene said...

Beautifully done! I am inspired--maybe I'll try doing this sometime too.

Ramona Davidson said...

What a wonderful idea. I look forward to seeing your progress. You seem to be off to a good start.

Ellen said...

This is terrific!! Great idea too, but you did a wonderful job.

Dan Kent said...

I think you are doing great! It's funny, I had this idea recently too. I figured I might learn something from imitation. So I drew some that I will be posting one of these days. I plan on continuing - I think it is a great exercise.

Timaree said...

You've started out terrifically! Your shading is very much, almost identical to the original.