Potpourri - Second Step

1/03/2010 12:01:00 PM Posted In Edit This 11 Comments »
My sweetie and I were gone for most of the day yesterday.  We went to Ann Arbor for breakfast and to do a bit of shopping.  Yes, I know, Christmas was just here, and what could we possibly be shopping for?  But, a friend has a birthday very soon, so we wanted to to do a little something for him, and of course, we needed to check out a couple of book stores just in case there was something we  had to have (there was - fancy that!).  Anyway, my drawing time was a bit limited (so what's new about that?) and I didn't get my ink drawing finished.  I'm OK with that - I feel good that I spent time on it, finished or not.  The drawing is nearing a point where I'm not sure where to take it next, but for some strange reason, I'm not worried about it.  Maybe because I keep reminding myself, "it's just paper, nancy, just paper".

One of the books I bought is called "On Becoming an Artist, Reinventing Yourself Through Mindful Creativity" by Ellen J. Langer.  One of the comments on the back cover is written by Roger Mandle, president, Rhode Island School of Design.  He wrote, "A profound book, clearly and simply written, that presents scientific evidence as good advice to everyone who wishes to lead a creative life.  I thoroughly enjoyed and was inspired by Langer's work."  It sounds like it's right up my alley.  I haven't started it yet, but I'll try to post something about what I find.

So, anyway, here's the Second Step. .... By the way - I just found out that Potpourri is one word, not two.  Oh well, live and learn




11 comments:

tracy kaufman said...

what a lovey piece of work. I enjoy your blog very much

Patty Ruthe said...

Yes! Good job, the added extras give the picture more depth and make the composition more interesting.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful - I love pen and ink work. You are doing a great job with this - all those little bits and pieces are so complicated to draw.
I am going shopping with a friend on Thursday - she says we are going to start our Christmas shopping early this year!

Its about art and design said...

Very expressive line; it looks great. You have an interesting mix of materials in your potpourri.

donna said...

Nice work. I can't wait to see the next step.

Timaree said...

Love the detail. This is really nice. You draw very well! I'd love to know how the book is. Hope you will give a review.

Art is for the Making said...

Oh...that is lovely. What a nice display of the potpouri ingredients.

Art is for the Making said...

One more thing...I have tried MANY times to draw a pinecone and have never drawn one that looks like a pinecone. So I'm especially impressed with your rendering of a pinecone. Nice (and not easy!).

Shirley said...

I just wanted to tell you that I loved that book and probably should reread it - it's been a couple of years and I think I've made progress. Will follow your drawing - it's lovely.

Janet Ghio said...

Your potpourri just keeps better and better!

Beth Norman said...

Read about this on the yahoo group and came over to take a peak. Awesome work. I used to do loads of pen and ink drawings when I was in highschool and am sorry I didn't keep it up. You inspire me.