C'est Fini .. I think

1/04/2010 06:21:00 AM Posted In Edit This 16 Comments »
I think I'm declaring this drawing finished.  I'm reasonably satisfied with it, although there is one thing I wish I hadn't done.  On the left side I blackened the spaces around 2 of the items which throw the whole drawing off.  When I did it I was planning on completely filling in all of the white space.  But then as I worked on it, I decided I liked it better with the white space left in.  Rather than go ahead and fill it all, I decided I would just live with the part I didn't like and not risk ruining the entire thing.  ...."It's just paper, it's just paper", chanted the voice inside my head.  Considering what Some Of the Things that voice chants, "it's just paper" is something I can live with!

I must confess, now that this drawing is finished, I'm feeling a tad anxious because I haven't the faintest idea what I'm going to do next.  I'm trying not to stress about it.  I think I'll just take the dog for a walk (in the miserably cold outside with it's howling wind) and see if I can come up with anything.


16 comments:

martinepittet said...

I agree with you: I like it better with the white areas left in, but the black spaces on the left don't ruin the sketch at all; I find the whole page nice and soft and I love all the details .

Quilt knit said...

This has turned out very nice! Congrtulations!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely drawing - very acomplished! You have done that pine cone so well and I know how difficult they are to do!
This reminds me a little of the fern I drew some months back. I started it on the spur of the moment and found that I liked it enough to put it in a frame. Perhaps you might do the same? Unfortunately, I sketched my fern with writing ink and it is now fading. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted!
I hope you will do some more pen and ink sketches before too long...

Vicki Holdwick said...

Nancy,

I really like this and I think the black on the left side is fine especially as it ties into the black frame.

xoxo

Timaree said...

It looks very nice. My sister gave me a suggestion for trying things like the black area. She places a piece of plastic over the piece and then paints (or in your case, ink it) onto the plastic. If she likes it she does it on the object she's working on and if not, the piece is clear.

You've done some complicated objects here so the sky is the limit really but sometimes that is a problem. You could pick an EDM challenge that appeals to you or maybe your dog or somethng you see on your walk like an interesting piece of trash you would ordinarily walk by.

Ann said...

Lovely drawing! This one does need to be framed and hung where you will appreciate it, for a long time, it's beautiful!

Lisa PN said...

Wow, i love this piece with both the black and white parts!

Susan Taylor Brown said...

This is so lovely! I see what you mean about the black part, and I kick myself so much on my own stuff that I know just how your feel. But when I looked at it it felt like to the left there was a deep, dark cave and the rest was as you came out into the sun. So for me, it works.

Anonymous said...

It is a beautiful drawing and I always enjoy looking at different stages of it.
Anxiousness of the white page, is it comforting knowing that it is a very common thing? Better not to think too much, for me anyway, and just start an other one.

Beverley Baird said...

What a lovely drawing! Lots of detail!

Serena said...

I love the drawing and echoing Beverley, there's a lot of detail.

I must congratulate you on beating your inner critic; I most likely would have crumbled to the pressure and colour the whole background black, then hate it and chuck it. So congrats for that!

Anonymous said...

Actually, I see the black under the cinnamon stick, so the black carries my eye across the page and up. I like that you left it... leave it longer and then come back to see. :)

donna said...

This is a terrific drawing! I like the black line, for what it's worth.

Unknown said...

Fantastic sketch!

trisha too said...

very striking, Nancy. I like it!
:)

Sarah said...

It's so annoying ~(I know, trust me) when you do something you regret, but this is a lovely drawing even so and it's all part of the learning process!