Mixed Media

1/05/2010 06:16:00 AM Posted In , Edit This 8 Comments »
All of you wonderful readers have been urging me along, so I spent some time with my art journal doing a modest mixed media piece.  The photo is a copy of one that is from a really old album that my sweetie's mother had.  They are family pictures, but most of them have no names on them and there isn't anyone still alive who knows who they are.  I love that they are related to our children, and wish I knew something about each and every one of them.  They are fun to look at, wondering who they were and what their lives were like.
Anyhow, here it is.  I used gesso, Golden Acrylics, tissue paper,  postage stamps, skeleton leaves, various stamping images, French text, and a Pilot Gold marker.  The scan didn't really pick up the metallic look of the gold - it never does, though, does it?



Today is my day to volunteer at the county health department - I'm there from 9 to 4, then we're going to a combined Christmas/birthday celebration at the home of some friends.  I doubt I'll have much time for art, unless I whip something off between bites during my 1/2 hour lunch break.  Who knows, tho, miracles do happen!  

8 comments:

Vicki Holdwick said...

Wow! I am impressed. I'm not sure I've seen you do one of these before. Nice job.

xoxo

Janet Ghio said...

Just love using old photographs. Very nicely done!!

Journal for * Today * said...

Hi, Nancy-
This piece is exactly what I've been wanting to do-
My grandparents, on both side, have given me old and very precious photos.
So far I haven't done anything w/ them, but kept them hidden away in a box.
This lovely collage you have created gives me inspiration to open THE BOX and begin !

Hope you're having a good day :)
Elizabeth Colvin

Timaree said...

Really great job. I think using a variety of techniques for artwork helps to keep the doldrums away. This turned out terrific. It makes an ancestor all new again. Hope you had fun with it.

martinepittet said...

I love it ! It's a beautiful way to keep the past alive.

Revelle Taillon said...

Nice! I love your collage!

Lois0607 said...

Hi Nancy - this is really nice ~

Anonymous said...

I had to get a closer look at that French text! Very nice collage, I like the old photo and the stamps.