Shirley and I

5/06/2012 07:41:00 PM Edit This 12 Comments »
Shirley is a wonderful, multi-talented artist whose blog I love.  Recently she suggested that we send each other master portraits that we find interesting and/or challenging.  In that same email she added a drawing by Van Gogh.  I love this portrait!  It's done in charcoal, which I intended to use when I drew it, but today the weather didn't cooperate and I so wanted to draw it.  I thought maybe I could stay in my studio and do it with charcoal, but I really hate to use it inside because of the dust.  I have a few health issues that make it sort of stupid to use pastels or charcoal inside, if I can avoid it.

So, I used a No. 9B pencil and did the best I could.  Charcoal would have filled in the tooth of the paper much better, but aside from that, I'm fairly comfortable with the way it turned out.  So, here they are - the Van Gogh first, and then mine.





So, it's taken me 3 days (YES, 3) to upload these  pictures because our internet speed is so slow!!  Thank you, Verizon Wireless!!  
Thanks for dropping by, and as always, I love your comments! 

12 comments:

Shirley said...

Oh Nan! I love your Van Gogh!!!!

It was so much fun to think that we were both working on this wonderful drawing of a peasant woman.

I look forward to getting the Sargent. My time will be limited as we get ready for our trip, but I always love to draw faces and figures.

Vicki Holdwick said...

Looking good, Nancy; I can so relate to your internet woes.

xoxo

afk said...

Hahaha slow internet is the worst! But I do like the idea of re-drawing what old masters have done, in the past that was they way artist learned new techniques right? Very nice!

Alex said...

I've never used 9B before...and I would love to try it but I know it's really soft. :)
Love the copy and I like the fact that yours look more "civilized" in a way. Thanks for the comments Nancy ^^

pauline said...

Nancy, this portrait is fantastic!! I'd say it's one of your best so far... LOVE it. You did a great job with the shadows in her face. i daresay you even made her a tad more proud. :-) I'm sure your skills are improving with all this portrait practice. Thanks for sharing! xoxo

K said...

What a great idea for a swap! Your portrait looks wonderful.

Mari Brown and Colourblob said...

Great work Nancy, I just love that portrait, she has such a interesting profile (a lot of amazing lines and features). I always like drawing people who have profiles like this. Again great work Nancy, cant wait what you will come up with next : )

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

What a clever idea for a swap. Your version of Van Gogh's drawing is wonderful. Looks like the woman would have been interesting to draw.

Timaree said...

Nice job! I've been away for a bit and so can see a big difference from before. You really nailed her even if it was in pencil.

meegan said...

Not a lot of difference between yours and van gogh - love the face.

Anonymous said...

This is terrific - such a strong face. Well done!

carin.c said...

You really captured the essence of the VanGogh even without using charcoal - great job!