Watercolor pencils and crayons

5/17/2009 07:39:00 PM Posted In Edit This 7 Comments »
Over the years I've read quite a bit about how much artists like watercolor pencils and crayons. The first time I read anything about them, I ran right out and bought some because they sounded not only fun, but also a tad easier to control than watercolor paints. But, I just couldn't get the hang of using them. When I used them the colors always seemed too garish - not at all like I expected them to look, and not really very much like the lovely pictures I saw in magazines. So, today I decided to give them another go. This time, I used a really light hand, and just did a simple drawing in my journal to see what happened. My light hand was too light! As you can see, it's pretty timid and uninteresting. Even so, to me it is a bit of an improvement over what I've done in the past because at least the colors don't knock you down with their volume! I'm going to have another go at it painting the same thing again using a bit more color. I used both watercolor pencils (a set of 12 Derwent Watercolor pencils) and crayons (Caran D'Ache Neocolor II Watersoluble and Karat Aquarell by Staedtler). I used a couple of different methods - first putting the color on the paper dry and wetting it with a brush, and wetting the brush first and applying color to it directly from the pencil or crayon. I can see how each method has its uses and benefits. So, here it is:

7 comments:

Karen said...

It looks nice. I think using the light touch gives it a very soft look.

Alex said...

I think it's a very sweet painting :)
It just looks so relaxing, and since I am going back to Malaysia for 2 weeks holiday, and it's really hot there, so that's what I could think of :D Nice piece!

Donn said...

Very good! You have a couple good sets of WC pencils. If you're not signed up for Kate's class, you should. You'll have a lot of fun and you'll learn more about the WC pencil uses.

Aveen said...

I don't think it's uninteresting, I think it's pretty!

Marilyn said...

I'm with you. I didn't have much success with them either. I better try them again. Thanks for the commentary.

rebecca said...

Dear Nancy
thank you so much for visiting my blog page and posting your comments. I really appreciate it you are the only woman to have done this.
I have never used water color pencils I have used oil pastels, and crayola colored pencils and pastel pencils. I love chatting with other female artists whatever artform they are into. I cannot sew myself out of a ripped paper bag :) I would love to learn how to make stuffed animals but that is beyond my understanding so I stick to drawing which is about the only thing I am good at.
I did another altered domino last night since it is now may 20th 1:31am :)....
again Nancy thank you so much for your warm words and coming to my blog. is that a self portrait of you on your profile?
you are so necessary

rebecca

MagicMarkingsArt said...

i think it would be interesting to put your two pieces side by side, and to see what different emotions are evoked by the two. ~ Perhaps those of us who aren't as connected to the art would have a different point of view.
Cheers to you and your creative spirit.