The Tree

6/13/2011 09:09:00 PM Edit This 9 Comments »
Today my dear friend, Vicki, and I had a date.  We went into Ann Arbor to ramble around in a couple of thrift shops where we each found a thing or two we just couldn't do without.  I'll let Vicki tell you about her finds here: http://vickiholdwick.blogspot.com/, and I'll tell you about mine.  My purchases were modest - a wonderful little purse to use when I need just the minimum amount of "stuff"; a small vase to replace one I recently gave away filled with flowers from my garden; and a very cute wicker basket that I can hang on a hook in my studio to hold .... ???  (I'm pretty sure it will somehow fill itself up in my absence).  After eating lunch in a wonderful vegetarian restaurant (now you carnivores, just chill - the food is delicious and you don't even notice the absence of food with a face), we went to Michigan Book and Supply to browse around in their art supplies.  I bought a little 6 x 6 Bristol sketch book which I absolutely did not need.

After all that we came back to my house.  Vicki, being the computer geek that she is (her word, not mine, but it does fit, I have to admit) solved a problem I was having moving things from my desktop to an art folder.  (Thank you soooo much, Vicki).  Then we played with various colored pencils, water soluble pencils, and water soluble crayons.  I gave her a sketchbook to mess around in, and she came upon this small piece I had done awhile ago.  Then she demanded to know why it hadn't been posted here on my blog.  I had no answer or excuse for her, but did say I would put it in.

It's a very small colored pencil and ink sketch that I did just to play.  The truth is, I don't do enough playing with my art toys.  Maybe this a great reminder to myself to just relax and play with it more!  So, once again, thank you, Vicki!! 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, thank you, Vicki! What a lovely tree ... this goes into my Pinterest file ...

Vicki Holdwick said...

I did have a lot of fun today and I really like this tree.

Thanks for posting it,

xoxo

Sandy in Michigan said...

This is a lovely little sketch! Vicki was right to encourage you to post it!

E*phi said...

It's beautiful! I love its delicate-ness and the color! Wonderful, glad you posted it! :)

debra morris said...

Great Nancy, I know what you mean about not playing, glad you had a good day

Alex said...

Looks so serene Nancy =) Love the shades of red and pink on it!

B @ Sweet Limes said...

What a beautiful tree. It's important that we keep some time to "play" isn't it?

Cathy Holtom said...

This is lovely, no wonder Vicki wanted it posted! Thank you for enlightening me about the ice-cream thingy,now I know ;)
You definately should keep playing with your art toys, that's what they're there for?

Ann said...

Yes, thank you Vicki for encouraging Nancy to post this beautiful drawing!