Albert Einstein and friends

4/16/2010 09:30:00 PM Posted In Edit This 14 Comments »
Today was a wonderful day.  The weather was beautiful ... windy, warm but not hot, sunny, and filled with two dear friends.  Kathy and Jennifer have been my friends since our children were very little - babies, in fact.  But, as sometimes happens in life, our paths diverged, one by one we moved away, our children were in different grades (and sometimes in different schools), and we lost touch for many years.  We all still lived in the area, but our paths rarely crossed.  Then about a year ago, when I started volunteering at our county health department, Jennifer and I reconnected.  She's worked there for a long time, and now I get to see her once a week ...  lucky me!  So we hooked up with Kathy again through a planned lunch, and now the three of us get together  every couple of months for lunch.  We'd do it more often, but there's schedule conflicts.  Today they came to my house and we had lunch.  We talked - there were tears and laughter, and best of all, there was the love shared between friends.  I'm so grateful that we have each other again.

Now, what does all that have to do with Albert Einstein, you might ask.  The answer is Nothing!!  It's just that I got to thinking about him after working on a bulletin board at the health department, and decided to draw him.  He continues to be a very stubborn man, even as he was in real life, so what I'm thinking is that this may not  actually  be Albert at all, but rather his little known brother, Alfred.

14 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Egads...Both Albert and Alfred have my hair. I think the sketch is fabulous, Nancy!

Anonymous said...

Very nice writing, it is wonderful indeed when we can reconnect with people. Einstein, Albert or Alfred is really good, he looks very assure, calm and also kind.

Janet Ghio said...

Nancy-your drawing is really good!! And isn't it so great to have friends that you share history with!! Glad you all were able to reunite.

Timaree said...

Love the wild hair and those eyes are terrific. They really stand out and make you focus on them.

Glad you've reconnected with your friends. They really add to life.

arlene said...

I looked at the pic before I read your entry and knew exactly who it was....now if I could just write as well as you draw - this might make sense.
His lower features, the shape of the jaw appear fine, thin, may even say small and then my attention moved upward to the forehead - brain area - so much larger and the explosion of hair is like his brain, his ideas are so exciting they can't be contained and are escaping out his pores - like fireworks.....I LUV HIM !!!!!

Sarah said...

lovely - I like this Nancy, whether it's Albert or his brother!

Ramona Davidson said...

Great portrait sketch of him. He was such a unique person.

Unknown said...

Wonderful story and celebration of your friendships! And I love the sketch of Einstein, whichever one it may be...because I'd say they look just alike!

Alex said...

This makes me smile all the way. The sketch is wonderful! =) And I couldn't agree more with Raena there!

Krista Meister said...

Love the sentimental story with your friends, and you made me laugh out loud with your non-seamless transition to Einstein! No matter which Einstein it is (did he even HAVE brother?), he looks great.

mariasangel said...

great sketch, and very recognizable! he seems to be making appearances lately in my sphere of life--a truly amazing creature that man was!

Thank you for stopping by my blog!!

Johanna said...

It is so great to have friends, and childhood friends is truly something to cherish - I find that with people that I've known for very long I can relax and just be my self. There is no pretence, no need to impress, they knew you before everything you think you know about yourself and that is a true gift.

Einstein looks good to me, you got the likeness enough that I recognise him sure enough.

The imp said...

Albert may be stubborn,but I think you have pinned him down definitely a case of E=Mc2.

Mary said...

Great image of our friend Albert and his famous hair! Enjoy seeing your drawings so much. I am currently re-reading The Art Spirit by Robert Henri which you might enjoy too.